- Add basil, rosemary, and oregano (I use fresh but dried could be used to; if you use dried, keep in mind to use less. Dried herbs are stronger in flavor compared to fresh; use about 1 tsp or according to taste) to the preheated olive oil or coconut oil in a large pot.
- Add a kernel to the oil – when it has popped, that is your cue that the oil is ready and to add the rest of the kernel.
- Cover the pot with a lid.
- Shake often with the lid on- wear gloves to prevent getting burned by the oil.
- You will know the popcorn is ready when the kernels slowly stop popping. Turn off the heat and transfer to a large bowl.
- Season with salt accordingly.
What makes this popcorn version an Italian style is the fact that I cook basil and fresh rosemary as I cook the olive oil, before adding the kernels. The oil absorbs the flavor of the herbs.
If you don’t have all the herbs, one or two is just fine; adjust according to your taste preference.
This snack is not only low in calories but you get the healing benefits from the herbs themselves.